Powered by Blogger.

The Mind Block (Danger: Very Random)

by - Thursday, July 09, 2015

Honestly, I haven't the faintest idea what to write about. But I do feel compelled to do it anyway mainly out of habit. And there is also the part where I've been blogging my thoughts and fears, excitement and unhappiness, weird and seriously funny moments  for the last 4 very long years. Wow, that sort of reminds me that I'm ageing and maturing into an adult (which I don't feel like I'm any different compared to my one-year-ago self).  Perhaps this post will be about what I've been up to lately. I think it's going to be very interesting for me at least because I don't think I have done that much...

First of all, I have been fully dedicating myself to writing my two books. I have sort of disciplined myself to write at least 5 pages a day before giving myself in-between breaks or rewards. If I don't do this, I might end up watching TV all day or mindlessly surf through the Internet on my phone. Yes, I was afraid I'll falter in the end in my effort to follow this strict schedule, but so far so good. I also opt to have my laptop and materials laid out on the coffee table in the living room. Out of all the likely places I choose in the house, I prefer this particular spot because it got good air circulation, spacious (so I won't feel like the walls are closing up on me and my ideas) and I can rest my eyes for a few minutes by simply appreciating greenery view outside. 

The cons of sitting in the living are many although some may not be so risky to my schedule compared to the rest. Some include: 
  1. Having the TV right in front of me (nothing good on TV these days) UNSAFE
  2. An endless stack of unread Dewan Siswa/Bahasa magazines (Is likely to be difficult to resist therefore, it could tempt me to drop my writing and read all day) HIGHLY UNSAFE
  3. Walnut, my hamster in a cage outside just a few feet away (The biggest and most adorable distraction here) HIGHLY UNSAFE
  4. The Great Red Sofa (This is where countless number of lives have perished to afternoon naps and slumber) HIGHLY UNSAFE

Although I can say there is definitely progress in my writing, I can't say the same thing when it comes to my humiliating situation in reading. What should be two books a week marathon turns out into  one book a week/2 weeks. I'm not a slow reader nor a fast one, but dragging my time in reading is quite new for me because I don't often do it. Whether it's a good book or the other, I always finish it on time to my target reading duration. I think I have to recreate a better schedule, don't you?

 I'm currently reading A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare. I actually had doubts towards William's works because when I first tried scanning through a few of his plays, I hadn't the faintest idea what I was reading. The language, although it is clearly in English just didn't look like one. However, I got a study guide with amazing notes plus, there is a complete movie online that is very similar to the play to help me build up my understanding. So far, it has been a good read and I actually look forward to continue reading it when I'm up for reading time. 

  Since we're talking about reading, I also have not touched on any Malay books that I have other than the two books about Ahmad Ammar. I do have a fair collection of Malay books although it's not that impressive. They are mostly kiddie novels. 

  I'm planning on making another video some time this week before heading back to my parents' kampong for Eid. I don't think I can finish Shakespeare anytime soon but I can talk about what I know of the book. Looking forward to it! Meanwhile, other than writing and staring very hard on the plain wall opposite of me for inspiring ideas to write, I'm using whatever free time I have to sharpen my sketching skills. My drawings are not brilliant since I have never taken art seriously enough but it's good to indulge in it once a while. Here is one I did yesterday of a soft toy I have (don't judge me yet):



P.S.
I'm currently obsessing over cat pictures on Instagram. Can't help it, they're too adorable!!! 

That's all from me, folks. I will be giving updates for the rest of this week to make more some of the days that I was "absent" here. Hee...

You May Also Like

0 comments