Powered by Blogger.

7 Things I Learned From Being A Kid

by - Saturday, February 25, 2017

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Even now that I'm in my early twenties, I will always admit that trying to be a normal kid was the hardest thing I ever had to do. There was always drama going on and no-one seemed to know who started it and when it even ended. No wonder kids always leave the grownups flabbergasted all the time, we could never keep still and be predictable!

For all that, the fuzzy memories of my childhood with all their questions and uncertainties, I loved them all. Whenever I look back to where I started off, I always surprise myself at how much I've grown. Well, I'm still goofy and weird at times (they'll be around for a while), but I've come a long way to who I was before. 

Here are the 7 things I learned as a kid:


 Tripping over everything and anything is normal.

RIGHT, WHERE DO I BEGIN? If everyone else's childhood was all rainbows and glittery ponies, mine was too close for comfort similar to a black hole. I either had clumsy concrete feet or all inanimate objects have strong animosity feelings towards my general well-being because I tripped, stumbled and fell over anything on a regular basis. Goodness knows how I'm even still alive today.

In fact, things were so bad that my school skirts had holes on them where I regularly and religiously fell on my knees. My shoes were always scruffy and I remember how we had to buy a new pair EVERY single year because they looked ready to crumble into nothings but dusts.

  I'm super bad at maths.

I was a super nerd back then. I never broke a single school rule (except for that one time when I collected autumn leaves to paste into my scrapbook), always obedient to my teachers and kept a small circle of nice friends with me at all times. I whizzed at history, geography, science and English, and played sports.

I was the perfect child.

... Or not.

Despite how much I loved going to school and learn, I desperately dreaded maths lessons. I couldn't put two and two together when numbers and simple formulas were involved even when a teacher and a friend or two explained them over and over to me. My term report cards never failed to have the occasional "Needs improvements in her maths!" in the comment section from my homeroom teachers. 

You'd think that after all those years in maths class and getting extra homework than my peers were enough to make me a more intelligent human being. Hah! NOPE, I'm still terrible at numbers but I've already accepted the fact that numbers and me have a really bad relationship together, and I deserve a break from ever having to go to another traumatising maths class ever again. 


 Not having a mobile phone was both curse and bliss.

I didn't have my own personal handphone until I was 18 which is a long time for most people. I even had questions from friends who wondered how I  managed to stay alive all that time before I finally got one. Come to think of it, it is rather funny. But rest assured, I was pretty much connected to the Internet and whatever was out there to stay trendy. 

The downside of not having a phone during my high school years was that I was left behind on updates of homework, announcements and cheeky gossips in my class Whatsapp group. However, Facebook was a huge deal back then so I found a way to ask my classmates around through that platform. 

The best part was that I didn't have to use my weekly allowance to top-up my phone credit. I saved them up for the weekly carboot sales or book  fairs where I lavishly spent my money on books. Or on guilty snacks to nibble on!

 Imagination is better than TV.

TV was and still is not my biggest highlight at home. There were never enough cartoons and kids movies around. As a kid, I rather be glued to a book or doing small projects involving making paper doll dresses, playing pretend games or being out in the open air. 

 I'm horrible at dancing.

I'm not sure whether you guys had this trend when you were kids yourselves, but from the school I attended years back, some girls my age loved to dance and practice with their friends over songs in the school playground.

At the time, Britney was a popular idol, even for small girls such as us. My friends created dance routines during break while the rest of us stared enviously at them. Of course, we did try to mingle with them but I kicked myself out after discovering that I couldn't dance even if my life depended on it. 

I gladly stuck myself to books after that incident.

 It's all about the present.

When you're a kid, you couldn't care less about what happened yesterday and worry about what would come the following day. I lived for the present and it was more important to me than anything else.

 Being different is hard.

Although I was taught to be myself, as a kid, it wasn't as easy as simply saying it. Friends grouped together knowing that they were similar to one another, while the kid who's different is seen as "odd". They were confusing times but as I grew older, I aknowledged the fact that being different is crucial to have yourself stand out from the crowd!





What's your story?

What did you learn from your kiddy self?

Comment them down below!



You May Also Like

0 comments